The role of social media manager is fast becoming a practice standard. Is your practice positioned to succeed? As social media becomes more accepted as a long-term communication tool − not just a short-term marketing tactic − many practices are implementing internal community managers.
Many of our readers have requested examples of social media management competencies and skills specific to the dental industry. Below is a sample job description. Special thanks to Ginny Hegarty, Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) and Dental Management Consultant, for her assistance in creating this thorough example:
Job Title: Social Media Manager for Dentistry
Job Summary: Internal social media community manager must possess the ability to make favorable impressions upon the social media community − patients, referring doctors, business partners and followers.
Qualifications: Individual must possess the ability to perform each of the key competencies as well as possess knowledge, skills and abilities below:
- Individual is friendly, attentive, positive, self-motivated and professional, and possesses excellent communication skills and a social customer service mindset
- Strong communicator to keep doctors, managers and team updated and content coordinated
- Strong time-management and self-discipline skills
- Enjoys networking and growing relationships to represent and support the practice goals
- Natural affinity to keep informed of social media changes and new opportunities
- Committed to responding promptly and consistently to patient and follower questions and comments
Knowledge / Skills / Ability:
- Knowledge of and effectiveness with English composition, grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Knowledge of or openness to learning advanced marketing principles such as branding and online reputation management
- Knowledge to perform all aspects of social media marketing including community development, monitoring and management
- Knowledge of and ability to adhere to HIPAA regulations
- Possesses the ability to utilize editorial calendar and content planning systems
- Strong aptitude for working with dynamic digital tools
- Ability to communicate and express thoughts and ideas competently
- Ability to establish and strengthen trust and relationships with patients through social media
- Ability to prioritize, organize and complete tasks in a timely and independent manner
- Ability to network with relevant business partners and organizations in the community as an advocate of the practice
- Ability to regularly track and monitor results on all social media sites
- Ability to interpret results of all monitors and make recommendations for adjustments in strategy to the office manager and doctor/owner
Special Requirements or Certifications:
- Familiarity with social media is a plus; technical skills can be taught.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills is required.
Are you a social media community manager for your practice? Is there a part of your job description not shown above that you would add?