Our annual Dolphin meeting always features a handful of guest presenters, mainly made up of consultants and clinicians who share their expertise on practice trends throughout the dental specialty industry. This year we were excited to include Andrea Umbreit, director of marketing and communications at Smiles Change Lives. Andrea delivered a lively and informative presentation about how practices can use their pro-bono work to create goodwill within their communities and promote new business. Entitled “Playing the Charity Card Effectively: Marketing Your Pro-Bono Work to Eliminate the Gamble,” the topics covered in the presentation included:
- The science of giving – giving is purely emotional and relational, as are many purchases.
- Establishing the goals you have in mind for your charitable work.
- How to select what kind of charitable work you will do, and what you won’t do.
- What community resources do you have to support your philanthropic work?
- What to promote, what not to promote, and to whom.
- Creating a message that brands your practice as the “good guys with a great heart.”
- Examples of safe bets and risky deals in practice philanthropy.
To view a video of Andrea’s presentation, visit here.